© 2018 I Am Valuable Mentoring Program, Inc. All Rights Reserved
In this season and in this generation, we are losing our young children to suicide for reasons far deeper than mental illness. We are beginning with young girls because societal pressures have created standards for how they live, look, speak, and seek that are impossible to live up to. This program teaches them to recognize that they are valuable, and they have a purpose. Now is the time because we must save our kids. We must provide them with creative and innovative outlets to express themselves. Participants will go on a variety of field trips, outings, and they will be exposed to art, culture, music and experiences that will serve as a creative outlet as well. Participants will receive meaningful and thoughtful gifts that support their individual growth and progress.
Mission & Vision
Our mission is to help young girls live healthier, more productive lives, furnishing each participant with the tools to develop into strong young women. We strive to equip young girls with the tools necessary to make positive life choices, not only by developing a strong sense of self, but by teaching them how significant their role is in society. Our program focuses on the importance of identifying one’s individual gifts and passions, learning and refining personal skill sets, and effectively contributing to the community.
We envision changing the world one young girl at a time, by equipping them with the tools to make positive life choices, while developing a strong of self.
To Become an IAV Mentee is E A S Y! You only have a few qualifications to meet:
AND so much more! We don't have enough website space to share with you how much FUN and how worth your precious time this will be!
We are now accepting applications for the 2018 - 2019 Program Year
A mentor is an individual who positively impacts someone’s life. A trusted person, who is caring and provides positive solutions and support. As a mentor, you will have the opportunity to provide your mentee with experiences that are outside their daily routine and environment. Furthermore, you will become familiar with your mentee's goals as far as they desire to get out of the program and these goals will be used to cultivate a strong mentor/mentee relationship.
• Active listener
• Flexible, open, and approachable
• Dependable and enthusiastic
• Possess a nonjudgmental attitude
• Resourceful and able to support their mentee as they strive toward their personal, educational, and/or career goals.
• Make a commitment of a minimum of 12 months to mentoring an I Am Valuable Mentoring Program mentee.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Meet in-person with mentee for four (2) hours per month. Additional contact each month by phone or e-mail is also allowed, as needed.
• Participate in quarterly service or group mentoring activities.
• Partner with Mentor Program Coordinator to identify and recommend additional resources to aid in mentee’s growth and development.
• Attend program ceremonies, including a matching ceremony and year-end at the end of the program year.
• Provide all needed data for program evaluation.
Mentor Eligibility Requirements
• Must be 21 or older
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize
• Must be willing to complete a criminal and drug background screening
• Guide young women towards achieving their education and career goals, while gaining a new friend.
• Experience the fulfillment of watching an I Am Valuable Mentoring Program mentee grow, develop skill, and gain confidence.
• Enhance growth by modeling good values and judgment.
• Become a part of a new network of change agents.
• Learn more about your community and its diversity and its future
Interested in being a mentor? Click on the email button above to request information. We will schedule a meeting to answer all questions and begin the screening process.
We are now accepting mentor applications for the 2018 - 2019 Program Year
I Am Valuable is hosting college tours throughout the state of Virginia, hopefully branching further down the east coast during the 2018-2019 school year. These tours are open to participants of the mentoring program and youth of the community. Our first stop was to Howard University. We visited Howard on Friday, September 28th; the group enjoyed a full campus tour and presentation about the institution. Check out some pictures from this recent tour in the slideshow below.
To register for our next tour, click on the image above, on April 5th we are heading to Hampton University. These tours are absolutely free; however, seating is limited, register today!
Photos from the Howard University Tour that took place on Friday, September 28, 2018
Contact us anytime at PO Box 1217, Leesburg, VA 20176.
Available Monday through Friday 9am - 6pm EST
Photos from the Virginia Commonwealth University Tour that took place on Saturday, November 3, 2018